Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: The In Crowd

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The In Crowd

Hello All,

I was just thinking; Why do I love the Word of God? Is it something nostalgic that takes me back to childhood and fond memories of Sunday School? Is it that I’ve spent so much time in it that I now have a distorted “pride” about what I know? Is it anything more to me than an intriguing amalgamation of historical literature involving the “miraculous”? I hope so. I hope it’s clear that my for love His Word stems from an obvious love for and deep desire to know Him. I hope that anything different would be obvious.

I think of the television commercials that advertise high fashion at low prices and one of their main selling points is that “No one will know the difference”. Not that you simply didn’t pay more, but that you’re not in the In Crowd. Yes, there’s an In Crowd; the hipsters, the trendsetters, the people that supposedly “do” what everyone else will end up “doing”, and according to the mainstream media, it’s the clique that everyone desires to be IN.

Of course, there’s a HUGE difference between faith and fashion…right? It’s obvious that some people have bought into a knock off, discounted Christianity that costs them little or nothing and sadly, they can look just like the In Crowd. This is not about producing a litmus test to use on others; this is about self-reflection.

Here’s The Word:

2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Philemon 1:6 That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

1 Thessalonians 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

There are many who believe that God is IN everything; rocks, trees and picturesque sunsets. I don’t believe that. I believe He makes them but that He’s wholly above them. I do however believe that He indwells believers and gives us the ability to love past the “superficial” and in spite of what it costs. I really do love The Word of God. I love it because I believe that He’s in me and draws me closer by it. What about you? Are you in His In Crowd?


In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger bcreed said...

Thanks, Cros. I don't know how applicable this comment will be, but when I was reading your post, I remembered something Alistair Begg said this week on his radio broadcast, Truth for Life. I don't have the exact quotation, but he said that when we read any passage, we should ask ourselves, "What does this tell me about God?" He went on to say that we often jump to the application, as in "What does this mean to me?" when we should first ask "What does this teach me about God." I thought it was a sensible way to approach God's Word.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home