Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Draw!

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Draw!


Hello All,

You know, I remember when studying the Bible went from Scripture memorization to really desiring to know God. I sought to let His actions and what He said of Himself (not what I’d thought) define the type of Person He was. Person? Funny when we hear that word applied to a Sovereign, Holy and Infinite Creator; something seems to be lacking. We hear “person” and think “people”. He’s definitely not people the way we are, but if you investigate the Scriptures, He most assuredly has “Personality”. Each Person of the Trinity does.
The greatest part of the story is that Their Personality is knowable. Furthermore, it’s encouraged.

Here’s The Word:

Jeremiah 24:7 (a) And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD:

When I was a child, I spake as a child and thought as a child(1 Cor 13:11). I could only see as far as a child could see. But as I grow, I now know how to climb and the higher I climb, the farther I see. And the farther I see, more of The Father I encounter. It’s too easy to assume that Sunday School has taught you enough about God. It’s too easy to assume that hanging around church folk or memorizing Scripture is all you need to do to “know God”. If you've really ever “tasted and seen that the LORD is good”, you’ll never be satisfied, there will never be enough.

Here’s The Word:

James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

As people, we “draw” to many different comforts; We love Fridays and Light Rock and new car smell (too many things to list) and we’ll put in great effort or suffer through quite a bit to enjoy these things. But when you think about it, the comfort or pleasure that these things provide pale in comparison to getting close to The Comforter, The Lover of your soul. And the most interesting thing about it to me is that He wants to know you but His personality is not one of a bully. He doesn’t kick the door in…he just knocks. He doesn’t invade, He simply asks us to Draw.



In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger bcreed said...

Thanks for the thoughts about God. In my struggle to know God better, I seem to have a need to have a mental picture of Him. Do you think other people feel this need? I think it's OK to think of God as a "Person." After all we can visualize a Spirit only in terms of our experience. I know I can't get a mental picture of a spirit. A wispy, ghostlike figure cannot possibly be accurate!

God refers to Himself in "human" terms in that the Bible speaks of His hands, His face, His back. And as you noted, the Bible does speak of His personality. He delights in His children or He is angry with us. And He always loves us. He makes promises and keeps them.

Most importantly, He showed Himself to us when He sent His Son, in human form, born of a woman, experiencing life as we know it.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home