Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Going Without

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Going Without

God is not food.

Kind’ve a bizarre statement I know, but bear me for a bit.
I, like many of you, grew up in a situation where most of what I take for granted today was not readily available. And without getting into the details, I remember occasions where food was not available. So we just went without.There was enough love and laughter to make those time of no lasting consequence. But the point is, God is not food, and if you wanted to dismiss God and still eat, it wouldn’t be a difficult thing at all. You can eat without God.

God is not money. Most people on the planet live on meager means and although the media forces us into window-shopping experiences, most of us can’t always buy what we want. So we go without. But the point is, God is not money and if you want to dismiss God and still spend money, it wouldn’t be a difficult thing at all. You can spend money without God.

Your friends are not God. And I know many of us have some pretty good friends who’ve stuck it out with us through thick and thin. Lord knows I appreciate my friends and I wish I did more to show them just how much. And as sad as it would be; If all of my friends were somehow removed from my life, I’d be devastated. But I’d go without. The point is, your friends are not God, and if you want to dismiss God and still have friends, it wouldn’t be a difficult thing at all. You can have friends without God.

God is not a whole lot of things. Things that we like, things that make us comfortable, even things that we often rely heavily on. We thank God for blessing us with things like food, money, friends and a myriad of other things but we ought to never be confused that if all of those things were removed, we’d simply go without. There’s a lot of stuff we can do without God.


Here’s the Word:

1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 4:16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

Now it could be that I’m just being overly sensitive and should probably take a break from the nightly news. But I’m saddened by the mess people are getting themselves into. Especially what people in relationships are doing to each other; husbands and wives; parents and those dear children. When I think of it, it seems that we’ve bought into the fallacy that human effort can produce love. It can’t. God is love. If you look at a logical deduction of 1 John 4:8 you could also say “You can’t love without God.” It’s such an awesome thing that God made us with a capacity to love. But love is not something that we can grow in a garden, or buy from a store or borrow from friends. You cannot dismiss God and still love. Simply put, Love always involves God and it’s not something that we can go without.


In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger culinarygnus said...

Deep my brother ! Now that i think of it how often have i straved myself of love from our Father. Thank God for his spiritual protien shake (grace) that sustains in our selfish moments. Just so you cant do without you are my bro for life.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home