Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Wednesday's Word - No Way in Hell

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wednesday's Word - No Way in Hell

Hello All,

I really find it interesting at some of the things people say without thinking. As I walked to my desk yesterday I over heard one of those familiar phrases and it caught my attention; "There's no way in hell ....blah blah blah (as I passed out of range of the conversation). So I pondered: Not many people know this about me, and I don't share it for any other reason except relevancy, but in the 8th grade, I was homeless, albeit just for a few hours. My mother, sister and I were checking into one of the many missions in Los Angeles and for those few hours, I really couldn't make sense of how we'd gotten there.
It was really surreal; not that we were being kicked out of Beverly Hills or anything, we were well acquainted with going without, but this was different.
And as bad as it was, there was a will and there was a way. We ended up moving in with extended family in Inglewood.
I'm sure you have stories of things that've happened in your own life that find you shouting Hallelujah! When you reflect on being delivered from them.
Some of 'those times' leave lasting scars that are still very painful to remember. And it may not have been your will that provided the way out of it, but at least not only was there a will, but there was a way. And now, that particular instance is a memory. But what about after this life?

Here's the word:

Luke 16:22-26 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he (the rich man) lift up his eyes,
being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue;
for I am tormented in this flame.But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this,
between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

We don't talk much about Hell these days other than in some disassociated way like many other things we flippantly say in passing. But back on July 8, 1741 Johnathan Edwards delivered the famous sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God", during a time called the Great Awakening (google it if you've never heard of it). But when I stop to think, do people really believe that Hell is real and that its gonna take a miracle to provide a Way for all of us not to go? Well a Miracle has provided such a Way through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
Because although it may be said over and over with little or no thought whatsoever....There's no way in Hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home