Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: En Garde!

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

En Garde!



Here’s The Word:

Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Luke 9:49-50 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

I often speak highly of those I consider to be ‘Forerunners in the Faith’. The most recent being E.M. Bounds, a man I became quite enamored with after being introduced to his writings on prayer through “The Power of Prayer”. It wasn’t until later on that I dug a little deeper into Bounds’ life. Bounds was a Methodist. Actually, he was part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South which had split from the Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC) over the slavery issue. Now, if you’re thinking that Bounds, being part of the “South” church, automatically means that he must’ve been okay with slavery as opposed to the MEC proper… You’ve got another thought coming. But often times that’s just how we operate; we hear a word or phrase and immediately jump to a conclusion without even knowing what the real offense is. Even the idea of the teachings of “Methodism” may be enough to dissuade many of us “Reformed” thinkers from going any further.

Au Contraire (forgive me, I’m in a French state of mind) – I am totally not saying that there should be no differences that delineate our theological standing. There must be. This is an admirable thing I see in the disciples' comment in Luke. They were concerned, on guard for those who would come and try to draw men away after themselves under the guise of “Christ”. Our standing needs to be on the truth of Scripture. This is why we must prioritize “study time”, to clarify our understanding of the mind of Christ and be ready to “cease and desist” once we find ourselves (or others) heading down the wrong road. On the flip side of the account in Luke 9, the Truth that Jesus imparts to the disciples was probably encouraging because after that moment, the movement was bigger than they’d realized.

So that’s may prayer for us; that we’d know Truth as a deciding factor as we're attentive and watchful for heresies and counter-productive teachings that don’t honor Christ. But that we’d also not be immediately put off by titles or labels and quick to dismiss without really knowing where the error is. Dear Lord, help us to remain vigilant and on guard.

In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger bcreed said...

I really like the Luke 9 passage. I remember Carole Evans once said she didn't think she had ever heard anyone preach on these verses. I'm not sure whether or not I have, but I find them a deterrent when I'm tempted to criticize other believers. We are not required to openly support or promote Christians with whom we disagree, but we are not to forbid them in their work. And I think this means we should not actively work to hinder their ministries. We should let them minister in the way they see fit. And of course I am talking about believers who are orthodox in their beliefs in matters of essential Christian doctrine. In my view, so many of the things that divide believers are nonessentials.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home