Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Your Other Doctrine

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Your Other Doctrine



I really don’t consider myself to be a writer as much as I simply enjoy sharing my thoughts. I therefore try to express my thoughts as clearly and coherently as possible. Thing is, once you’re a part of some group (like writers), there’s “lingo” that goes along . Not being a writer, the only lingo I can think of is “writer’s block” but I’m sure there are others. The thought that I’m sharing today has been nagging me…I meant to complete the thought weeks ago and just hadn’t been able to seal the deal. I bet writer’s have some cool lingo name for that but….. I digress.

The more I live, the more I learn that most people really have an “other” doctrine. It’s rarely ever brought to the forefront and usually goes about affecting things without much of a ruckus. Your other doctrine is your paradigm, or presuppositions that filter your reality (or any new thing that asserts itself on to your reality). The thing I think we need to be most careful with is how that other doctrine affects “TRUE” doctrine. The Scriptures. For instance, some people have an other doctrine that presupposes GOD IS LOVE in a way that prevents them from having a truly scriptural view of God’s Judgement. They’d say “God is a loving God who couldn’t possibly send people to burn in Hell”. That’s an easy and obvious one, but there are others that are more subtle. Some presuppose people to be basically “good natured” OR another one is that we’re ALL God’s children. These other doctrines run deep and distort true Biblical understanding. At man’s core – we’re ALL not simply fooled into being misguided;

Here’s The Word;

John 3: 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

….and although we are all “creations” of God, we’re NOT all His children

Here’s The Word;

John 3: 9- 10 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Since we rarely hear of “the devil’s children”, probably because it doesn’t make for a good sermon to try and win sinners, this becomes the perfect place for false doctrine to continue to affect things unchallenged. Did you see what I just did right there? – Is that what The Bible says we’re supposed to do - “Win sinners”? or is that an “other” subtle doctrine where we misunderstand our role in sharing the saving Grace of God through truth and love (word and service)? I think the hardest part concerning these other doctrines is admitting that we have them. Not only is it not easy to see many of them because we take so much for granted, but once you do discover them “knowing is only half the battle”: These doctrines become so embedded that it can be really difficult to rearrange your thinking. I remember hearing a guy in Bible Study class say “I just can’t see God as jealous” - His other doctrine over-rode Scripture. So you see that it’s important to take a deep, long look and pray that God would reveal to us and remove our “other” doctrines.

In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger bcreed said...

OK Let me deal with your first sentence first. What is a writer anyway? One who writes? One who shares his thoughts? Or his imagination? You are a writer, Cros!

Regarding the content of this post, sometimes I like to read the Bible and pretend that I've never read it before and no one ever told me what it's supposed to mean. I think that helps filter out the preconceived ideas. Lately I have been listening to it while I walk on the Word of Promise dramatized audio Bible. (published by Thomas Nelson) This really comes into my brain through a different channel, and I really like it. Someone bought us the CD version of the New Testament a few years ago, and we recently bought the app so we can listen on our phones or ipad. The cost hurt a little ($40), but it has been well worth it.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home