Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: The Audacity of Nope

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Audacity of Nope


As I drove home from work the other day, I became overwhelmed to tears. The issue was the idea of my sinfulness. Not merely my ‘missing the mark’ due to the fallen nature that we’ve all inherited from Adam; but the real, obstinate choice to disregard what I know to be better which oftentimes amounts to some insignificant selfish desire. A friend of mine made a statement years ago saying that if God showed us our sin in its entirety, we could not stand the full weight of it. After hearing it, I spent a lot of time pondering the idea. Over the years, the statement has become more clear to me. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not in a depressed state where I’m constantly beating myself up or shunning God’s daily mercies and blessing because “I’m not worthy.” I realize that we need to be careful that the enemy not use thoughts such as these to gain a foothold to turn us in on ourselves. Paul did a very good job expressing the reality we all have as believers (even mature believers)– The daily war with the old man of sin.

Here’s The Word;

Romans 7:18-21 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

I guess it’s also the other side of the coin; God is SO good to us. I think of my kids; I reckon since I've read enough comments on Facebook that in reality, I can say “OUR” kids. Our children (and by extension as we relate to God – WE) seem to operate in a sense of entitlement. We tell our kids over and over again; “Clean up behind yourself.” “If you don’t understand, ask.” “Be more responsible.” “Why should I continue to give you things when you don’t appreciate what you already have?” I find myself negotiating with my kids to get them to do what’s appropriately expected and “right”. I pray that God would help me leverage the proper balance of direction, discipline and encouragement because I also find myself trying to not be too hard on them, and then second –guessing that I’m too lenient.

But that brings my thoughts back to us and how we relate to Our Heavenly Father, what more could God possibly do? Actually, what more SHOULD He do? This entire existence is ALL God’s situation; He’s created absolutely everything good thing that we obliviously enjoy. Even though we have His Word and His Spirit guiding us from faith to faith into an ever-maturing expression of righteousness, when we willingly disregard His teachings…it’s just like saying “Nope”. And with all He’s already done, He never deserves any answer except “Yes”.

Here’s The Word;

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

So I’m just sharing the thought. I would pray that you not give the enemy an opportunity to turn you in on yourselves, but I also pray that you be encouraged to obediently appreciate Our Father better. And that the idea of giving Him less would be increasingly distasteful to the point that you realize and stand opposed to the audacity of “Nope”.



In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home