Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: David Did It

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 02, 2013

David Did It

Hello All,

I’m on sort of a theme here: Last week I talked about how we enjoy the comfort of our privacy. To add to that, we also go along about our lives with no real desire to upset that apple cart. We know that “going through things” is the way of the world but we don’t press to help bear one another’s burdens. Actually, unless we’re at a point of really NEEDING help, we’re not inclined to bring it up at all.
Today I would like to challenge our thinking by making much of a portion of Scripture that we often skip over. As much of a treasure trove of wealth & wisdom contained Psalms, I wonder how often do we notice the 'contextual clue’ at the beginning of many them. These clues set the stage and really give you a feel for the situation and David's motivation when pouring his heart out in song.

Here’s The Word;

Psalm 51 For the Leader. A Psalm of David; When Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bath-sheba

Psalm 52 when Doeg the Edomite came and told Saul, and said unto him: 'David is come to the house of Ahimelech.'

Psalm 57 For the Leader; Al-tashheth. [A Psalm] of David; Michtam; when he fled from Saul, in the cave

Most online Bibles do not have these contextual clues. I have a few printed Bibles and I can’t recall if they all have them or not – I can't imagine that this is something that will eventually be eliminated altogether. I sure hope not.

The main point is this; Here is King David, a man after God’s own heart (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22) who is not being silent or private about his issues – He’s just as willing to cry out to God in the midst of his sin as he is willing to cry out when he’s on the receiving end of “going through things” and there’s no reservation about the names of those involved. How many of us would write a song like this today (and give the context)? Normally, I can’t even imagine who a king goes to share his issues with, but we as the people of God don’t see our brothers and sisters in Christ as a help to us and we would for the most part rather let things go the way they continue to go; the way we’ve become most comfortable with….privately.

Well, this is where I get off. I, like all of us, have to decide that if things are ever going to be different, then they’ll have to start being different beginning with me. I know that there will be some who’s been in the old way of thinking for so long that I may come off looking like a complainer – I’ve considered how to share things without turning it into a pity party and I will basically pray that God be glorified and we be “built up” in the effort and expression to embrace and be embraced by The Body as we rejoice with those who rejoice AND also bear one another’s burdens.

So If I can encourage any to follow a good example for sharing and growing in the highs and lows of life; I can only think to point to King David...David did it.

In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger bcreed said...

I have two Bibles here at my desk, and they both have head notes for the Psalms. Somehow that makes them seem like journal entries to me. As such, they are totally candid. I find this kind of honesty difficult. I guess I am programmed to know how I am SUPPOSED to think and feel, and it's hard to admit that I am failing. Maybe that's why we keep our protective shell of privacy...so we don't have to admit our weaknesses, even to ourselves.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home