Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: See, Here He Is

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

See, Here He Is

Hello All,

I grew up in church like many of you and now that I’m an adult, I spend quite some time going back “re-evaluating” the lessons I learned as a child. Not that I believe I was intentionally misled, and I recognize that it’s even likely that much of my theological inconsistencies come from my own desires of what I want God to be. I see now however, that what I’ve done basically equates to “idolatry” whereby I worship a manufactured “god” rather than The God identified in Scripture. The more time I spend there in His Word, without dragging my distorted theological baggage along, the more I tear down that idol and see Him for who He really is. “See. Here He is.” I do believe that God is ALL loving and ALL powerful and ALL Perfect without question. And when I “see, here He is” In Scripture, I see that it’s more SERIOUS than that.

See, Here He Is:

Leviticus 10:1-3 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

1 Chronicles 13:9-11 And when they came unto the threshingfloor of Chidon, Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark; for the oxen stumbled.10 And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him, because he put his hand to the ark: and there he died before God.

Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Psalm 47:2 For the LORD most high is terrible; he is a great King over all the earth.

Micah 3:4 Then shall they cry unto the LORD, but he will not hear them: he will even hide his face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings.

I wonder if reading those verses, do you envision a younger God…..you know, before the big white beard; before He chose to stay sitting there on His throne.

A few weeks ago, I used a verse from Zephaniah about how God rejoices with singing. I think we’re so used to picturing a seated God that our theology doesn’t allow for Him to do anything else. I don’t know how right I am, but I think of the Queen of England: She has a throne, but she’s not always just sitting there. Rest assured; no one else sits in her seat either. The creation account in Genesis says that man was “formed” from the dust of the ground. I believe that God “could” have made man while He sat on His throne, but I don’t think He did. I think He got His hands dirty, because that’s really the kind of God He is. I believe He made the garden up close and personal and enjoyed walking through it in the cool of the day. When He lead the Israelites out of Egypt, it doesn’t say He “sent” a pillar of fire and cloud but He was IN the pillar of fire and cloud and there stood over His people. (Numbers 14:14)

So, this is just an encouragement to take a “See, here He is”ly (get my little play on words?) look at The God of Scripture. Not to cherry-pick the verses that keep Him in His rightful place in your mind. You’ll find that to “See, Here He is” in Scripture is a SERIOUS matter.



In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger bcreed said...

You are right, Cros. I believe we should always approach the scripture first by asking ourselves, "What does this tell me about God?" The application part must come second. Today I read Psalms 71-73. I read there that God is sovereign, holy, righteous, and there is none like Him--just to name a few!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home