Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Wednesday's Word - Do Loss

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Wednesday's Word - Do Loss

Hello All,
I've been pondering something over in my mind lately - pondering the idea that many Christians don't know what it means to be Christian -Trust me, the first thing that comes to my mind after a thought like that is "Who am I to make such a bombastic statement?" Now if you know me, you know I'm not much for bombastatism (I'm not sure that's a word, but you catch my drift). I know that all we can really do is work out our own salvation with fear and trembling (Phil 2:12). But I ponder, not only because of what I see on the outside, but also because of what I'm confronted with on the inside. I can jump up and shout "Hallelujah!" with the best of them - turn around and sing I'm Glad I'm Saved with the rest of them. But when I really look close,I'm faced with a nagging question; Is Jesus really Lord? I mean there's no question when I feel "blessed" by what He gives me - I think of Him and say "Lord, thank You!" but am I thanking Him in the proper context or am I just caught up in that moment of Jesus as a Gracious Provider? No one can look at my life and say that I've had it easy, and trust me, I'm not looking for sympathy. On the contrary, since I didn't grow up with much I know that I have to be extra careful that the things I've acquired don't put me in a mindset that these things are anything but things; blessings yes, but no comparison to the Blessor!

Here's the Word;

Philippians 3:7-8 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Now Paul had just gone down a list of things that most anyone would call a "blessing" Good family, good schools, dedicated and all around well respected. But even in the middle of all of that he makes the statement "the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord:" .I'll put it this way. If you say Jesus is your LORD, what does that make you? The Greek word is doulos (pronounced do-loss) and here's what it literally means: devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests.

Whew! Something to ponder right? Even more than pondering, its something to follow hard after. I believe if we take the time to ponder, pray and purpose in our hearts to live as a doulos of Christ - it probably won't be a life of showered blessings, but since when is 'this' supposed to be Heaven? And on the other hand - I bet the JOY would be unspeakable. Now here's my balance statement - am I saying don't receive blessings from the Father's Hand? not hardly - that would be unappreciative. But rather more than looking for gain - we should also consider it a blessing when we have an opportunity to do-loss.

In Him,Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home