Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Wednesday's Word - How Much Do You Weigh?

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wednesday's Word - How Much Do You Weigh?

Hello All,
Not quite ‘funny’ how certain questions give us that initial feeling of
hesitation. I guess sometimes its simply because some questions feel
more like accusations rather than curious investigation. But also,
there are times where I think the source of discomfort comes from the
immediate recognition of how we see ourselves. Well in case you pulling
a Rip Van Winkle for the last millennia or so, you know that THIS is
one of those questions. And on this occasion, I’ll admit that I’m not
asking for curious investigation. But I’m also not accusing anyone
either. Hopefully, once you’ve gotten a hold of the context, the
question will lead you to ponder introspectively to resolve within
yourself “Hmmm…. How much DO I weigh?” Most of us who call ourselves
Christians will be quick to humbly admit that we’re not doing as much
as we can or should. But even in that, we don’t see ourselves as being
really that bad either. It’s not hard to see and accept the truth in
both statements. Like I eluded to before “There is now therefore no
condemnation…. At least not from me. But an honorable part of our job
is to spur one another on to good works (Hebrews 10:25)– and even
though I myself am not doing all I should, this is the reasoning behind
Wednesday’s Word.
The thought for today is; Have we bought into the “easy believe-ism”
that’s prevalent in our culture today? Have we made the idea of impact
so personal that not only do we rarely push ourselves, but the idea of
pushing someone else is a “bad” thing?

Here’s the Word:

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye
pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier
matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have
done, and not to leave the other undone.

Now don’t get it twisted. I’m not preaching works-based salvation. Far
from it. Ephesians 2:8 is also one of my all-time favorites “For by
grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the
gift of God:” and rest assured that we are not under the LAW the way
the Pharisees were. But Jesus is making a point to tell them that
they’ve gone rather far to make sure that they parted out their herbs
and spices but when it came down to heavier issues that make a real
impact, they didn’t give those issues much weight. So consider this to
be my encouragement to myself and to you. Now I’ve never looked down my
nose at anybody for their ‘Jesus is my co-pilot’ bumper sticker, or
their ‘Too Blessed to be Stressed’ tee-shirt but when it comes to those
things like mercy, faith and justice. How much do you weigh?

In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home