Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Wednesday's Word - Name Brands

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday's Word - Name Brands

Hello All,

Okay, here’s your challenge: watch 5 minutes of television, or listen to the radio, or surf the internet or simply walk from anywhere to anywhere else and count the number of name brands you come across. What number do you suppose you’d get up to? 50? 100? 1000? More?

Suffice it to say, without even taking me up on the challenge, it’s obvious that we are inundated with name brands. What is it about these names; Sony, Nike, IKEA , Aeropostale, BMW, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Coke, Nintendo, Starbucks and all the rest? Call me crazy but I think the appeal of name brands aren’t simply an association with a certain quality (although, that’s probably what comes to mind first). I think it resonates with a deeper part of us as human beings: The part that likes the association that goes along with the brands we choose. Not only that, I believe that deeper part of us (that gets exploited my competitive marketing) was put there by God Himself- As to me, it’s that foundation of association that eventually builds into worship. Don’t believe me? What would we call someone who takes the association of these material things too far…. Idol worship. Now, of course I’m not saying that brand names are bad. And I’m totally an advocate for making the most of the money we spend by buying quality products. But we have to check ourselves and teach our children; lest we exemplify and perpetuate the example of High School students who think the latest brand name ‘this or that’ should afford US any kind of glory. Remember, the world would love to have you become a walking billboard and believe that their products offer you any kind of real satisfaction.

Here’s the Word:

Revelation 3:10 - Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. 11I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 12Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.

So even when I consider the 4 name brands I have on right now, I may have them, but they surely don't have me. These things are nothing more than rubbish. There’s only one Name I’m looking to be branded with. The brand New Name brand

In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home