Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: House of Mirrors

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Sunday, December 30, 2018

House of Mirrors


Here's a thought: well, in the form of a question:
Do you think Isaiah ever experienced the type of woe he felt in Isaiah 6 before he came into the presence of The Almighty? Would he have described himself as a man of unclean lips the day before he saw God high and lifted up? Or even Jeremiah. Did he think of himself as a child before standing before God? Do you think he would've ever admitted to his fear of public speaking before the LORD pointed it out?
The Bible talks about so, so many Christlike reflections. That's what I pursue.

In Peter, the Bible tells us to make every effort to add to our faith. I believe that a big part of that is reflecting, taking inventory of our antiques. To actively devalue them. To make less of even the ones others make much of. To remove them from blocking a clear unobstructed view of the mirrors in God's word, especially the ones that I've clung to because they made me feel better than my neighbors with their worse antiques. That is something I can do.

I don't use yesterday's version of me as a marker, I'm seeking the fullness of Christ as my goal I think of it like a hall of mirrors.
I don't want better patience than I used to have, I want Christlike patience.
I don't want less anger than I used to have, I want Christlike peace.
I don't want a better temper that doesn't frustrate as easy, I want Christlike control.
The Bible reflects Christlike character and beckons us to look into those mirrors and be honest with ourselves. Each reflection that shows no signs of progression, needs correction.
And this commitment isn't hard, well, it's not easy either, but it's so worth it, what other choice is there really? When I give humble and honest attention to the marred reflections, it allows me to make room for Christ to move in and take up more and more space. it's not like I have valuable antiques that I have strong attachments to. My yesterday's stuff is all junk, and what Christ brings is incomparably better.

Now this is a wonderful place to encourage us with Biblical truths about the gospel and salvation. Because of our place IN Christ, when God looks into those mirrors, He only sees Christ. But we're not God, and we shouldn't let His perspective become an easy excuse as to why we don't give attention to the work that really needs to be done in us. There is no condemnation, but there is a conformation that warrants our attention in humble reflection and an expectancy that God will give His holiness, where we give Him our antiques.

Here's The Word:

James 1:22 - 25 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass(mirror): For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Psalm 19:7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

Initially, this didn't seem to be a New Year's type of post to me, but now after looking it over, I'm thankful. A house of mirrors can seem confusing, but that's only if your goal is to get out as soon as possible. Perfection is a process and it's easy to follow the reflections to the finish. If the reflection shows that there's still work to do; Be honest, be humble, pray and throw out the antiques. As the reflections become more clear....I mean, more Christlike, move on.

In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is exactly what I needed to read in the heart of the season of change. Come the first of the year, most will make vision boards or simply just ponder and proclaim all the changes and improvements they want for themselves and their situations. I, myself, like to set new goals and reflect on what I've accomplished since the last drop of the ball but I honestly have never reflected on how close to Christ's image have I truly molded myself... I've always used my own "before and afters" as a gauge which is strictly a worldly measurement. I do not wish to only be a hearer, or even a doer of my own will. I pray for everyone to receive this message and to invite God into our New Years Resolutions, for 2019 and forevermore. The power He holds and the changes He can perform in us are far greater than that of any amount of black eye peas and collard greens!!! :)

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home