Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Picking Sides

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Friday, November 02, 2018

Picking Sides


Seems like today more than ever, you could boil things down and say that you’re either one of two types of people; those completely engulfed in political arguments or those completely oblivious to them.
As for myself, I probably lean more middle: I don’t argue and I’m not oblivious.
You may be thinking to yourself, “How can this be, Cros?” Well, I’ll tell ya.
As much as I see the issues playing out and as often as I have feelings about such things, my number one priority isn’t governance and the issues that pit opposing viewpoints to fever-pitched diatribes against each other.

You may not know Exodus 32 by name, but it recounts the story of the Israelites and the golden calf. It goes like this: As Moses had been long conversating with God on Mt. Sinai, the people below felt that they were without a leader. They approached Aaron with this concern already deciding that he needed to cosign with them on building a ‘god’ for them. You get a sense of Aaron’s frustration in asking for all the gold earrings. He makes the golden calf and says ‘These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt’.
The LORD, seeing this gets very angry and tells Moses what’s going on in the camp. God says, I’m about to let my anger have its way with these people and I’ll just start over. Moses pleads their case to God’s mercy and the idea that the Egyptians will mock the deliverance of His people. He also appealed to God to remember His promise.
God repents and Moses heads down the mountain with the 10 commandment tablets in hand. They hear the party going on, see the golden calf and Moses gets very angry. He throws the tablets down and burns the golden calf into powder, adds that powder to the water and makes the people drink it. Still angry, he asks Aaron to explain what happened. Arron tries to calm Moses. Moses says “Who is on the LORD’s side?” The Levites step up. Moses tells them to arm themselves and go throughout the camp, slaying the calf worshippers. Moses ends this tragic day with a proclamation – “Consecrate yourselves today to the LORD, even every man upon his son, and upon his brother; that he may bestow upon you a blessing this day.”
The next day Moses goes back up to God to plead for forgiveness for the people. The LORD tells Moses to go and lead the people toward the Promised Land, but promises that this day’s sin will not go unaccounted for. He plagued the people because of the calf.

Here’s The Word:

Exodus 32:26 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD's side?

We’re in a day where the arguments are ceaseless. People aren’t listening as much as they’re just hurling provocative rhetoric. I’m okay with the idea that we disagree on points of how we feel we’re best served by government, but when it comes to Christians, I often get the feeling that we’ve involved ourselves too closely into the expectations of the masses, denying the real and present influence of God in our lives. Yes, there are a few topics that make apparent sense that Christians weigh in on, but I’m hearing many other issues being elevated to “God would want this” just because someone started a rallying cry. I love the excitement and fervency, but I’d love to hear more Gospel added to the commentary, rather than more “Us” vs “Them”. As Christians, we need to show a special love for those in The Body, and we need to keep repeating the rallying cries that make Christianity, Christianity.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Colossians 1:28 (GOD) Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Joshua 24:15 (snippet) choose you this day whom ye will serve

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

I try and keep it simple. I also try to keep my affections apparent and my pledged allegiance undeniable. So of course, get out and vote. Make your voice heard in the process whereby we influence how we’re governed as a nation. But as a Christian, wake up daily and pick sides – choose to promote Christ and His will for your life and those in need, those who don’t know Him.

1 Corinthians 2: 2-5 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home