Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: This Means War!

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Monday, July 11, 2016

This Means War!





I recently had a sit-down talk with my son about War. Not the War on Terror or the political war currently being waged here in the media as we prepare for the fast-approaching, Presidential election.

First, here's a brief bit of backstory; Years ago, I'd asked my son about his favorite Bible verse and he'd replied with Proverbs 3:5 - 6 which states "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Of course, it was a proud father moment for me but I couldn't help but wonder: how much does he understand what it means or does it simply sound good and wise to him? I responded encouragingly and allowed time to deliver opportunities to grow and take things deeper.

So as time progressed, my now teenaged bundle of joy has taken to hours upon hours of 'online time' and very little else. Telling him to handle chores or simply 'be involved' with something other than the computer have never been met with a fight or even the expected grumbling or complaining. However, the level of effort left something to be desired. Again, I know the general nature of teenagers and I still find it very easy to encourage and enjoy my son; he's a good kid. I just knew it was time to have a good talk.

So there we were; at a non-confrontational engagement. I asked him to look at 1 Corinthians 9:27 and had him explain to me what he thought about the word "subjection". A common theme for him and me, during Biblical discussions, is noting the presuppositions: It goes like this - Proverbs 3:5 says '...lean not to your own understanding". Why does it say that? What is being assumed? Answer: It says it because it's VERY easy to lean to your own understanding and you need to be TOLD not to do it.

In the same way, the idea of keeping your body in subjection comes from the assumption that your body already has ideas of what it "wants" and will spend time and effort trying to attain. This is why it needs to be kept....but WHO keeps it? Ahhh! Good question.

Here's The Word:

Romans 7:21 - 23 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

This was our first discussion of war. I told him that he needs to see his body as something to be questioned and validated when it comes to its ideas, its motivations....its desires. Do the things that my body desire advance ME or do they advance Christ? Do they find me in obedience or not? Do they have any good, lasting effect or are they empty calories? (which is a part of normal, everyday life but you don't want them to be your whole life)

I don't assume that this discussion fixed his extended computer time situation. I suspect this is the first of many conversations - but fixing him wasn't my goal in the first place. To me this is as much about ME bringing my own body into subjection because there are times when I could think of a hundred other things I would like to do other than confront my teenager. The Bible commands me to bring my child up in the fear and admonition of The Lord (Ephesians 6:4), so we lead by example...and we teach what this war means.

In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home