Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Glory

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Glory


I don’t usually “do” the dream stuff. Not because I believe that dreams are meaningless. There’s enough in the Bible to dispel that outright.
I just tend to believe that “MY” dreams aren’t much of anything other than the results of a busy mind sorting out it’s baggage in very entertaining ways.
I do however believe that there is great benefit in seeing thing with spiritual eyes. Things that ring true Scripturally, and help affirm or encourage our faith, which brings me to where these two things come together: Last night I dreamt that I was asked to explain “Glory”.
I immediately found it interesting since in my years of writing this blog, I’ve never dedicated one single post to the idea of glory. Considering how much the Bible talks about it, that seemed odd to me.
Well, in my dream as quick as a thought, someone asked what it was, and my reply was something like this:

"Glory is the reflection. It’s what bounces back off of you when God shines His brightness, His righteousness on to you. It doesn’t start with you, it’s Him, reflecting from you".

So of course, once I’d woken up, I had to make sure my “dream” theology was sound :) and either way, I’m still intrigued about delving into the idea of “glory”.
When studying a bible word, it’s always interesting for me to see what the word was first used for.


Here’s The Word:

Genesis 31:1 And he heard the words of Laban's sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away all that was our father's; and of that which was our father's hath he gotten all this glory.

Remember this story? In the previous chapter, Jacob, who was swindled by his uncle, Laban, into marrying both of his daughters instead of only Rachel is finishing up 20 years of servitude. For his pay, he and his uncle agree to the spotted, speckled and ring-striped cattle. What follows is a miracle explained more in Chapter 31, but suffice it to say, God blessed Jacob with abundance in the form of many, well favored cattle in response to Jacob’s persistence and steadfastness in the face of Laban’s trickery. The Bible refers to God as the owner of the cattle on a thousand hills….so what did God really give Jacob? An expressed abundance of what God already has. A reflection of Himself.

There are many, many other usages of “glory” in Scripture. Maybe some favorites come to your mind. How would you explain it?


Here’s The Word;

Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

1 Corinthians 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 3:9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Honestly, I was surprised to see how often the word appears in 1st & 2nd Corinthians. I’ll probably spend some personal time reading and focusing on broadening my understanding of “glory”.

That’s all this is really for. To draw our attention, give focus to, and broaden our understanding about something that can tend to fall by the wayside. We should be informed, rather than ignorant about glory.
Also, our representation of Christ shouldn’t be impotent. It’s easy to say “glory to God”, yet show no real intent toward reflecting Him. The glory is real, and will be displayed in every word of His truth, every reflection of His faithfulness, and every compassionate gesture if we truly allow our “selves” to decrease, and allow Him to increase.
When the Word commends us to “Let our light so shine”, it’s really not a light that originates in us….it’s us reflecting HIS light, that’s why the glorifying that follows is directed toward Him.


In Him,
Cros

1 Comments:

Blogger MsCros said...

1 Corinthians 10:31 was one of my "learning" scriptures when I first accepted Christ. Always looking for kudos from men instead of doing all to God's glory. I'm learning....

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home