Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Service

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Friday, December 15, 2017

Service



You know, I don’t mind that December 25th is most likely NOT the true birth date of Jesus. I don’t mind that the practice of giving gifts more than likely has roots in the ancient Roman celebration of Saturnalia. I’m not put off that the Christmas tree tradition likely began as nature worship moreso than anything recognizable as ‘Christian’. Nope, none of those things bother me whatsoever. The only thought that could challenge my joy of the season is if history would somehow overshadow HIS story.
We’re just about 3 months away from Easter (April 1st), where we often hear the common, yet challenging question; Who killed Jesus?
It’s a provocative thing to consider.

I would like to help make it a common thought at Christmas to ask: Who was Jesus born for?

Here’s The Word:

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Hebrews 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

I’m of the mind that the answer to the question is similar to the answer for the Easter question. The answers are multifaceted, but overall, they lie in the ministry of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5: 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself…
As we reflect and remember HIS story, I pray that you would do whatever it takes: Each year that you would pursue creative ways to keep the Truth of Christmas as real as any gift, or any tree or even any ‘commonly’ uttered phraseology.
For us who are IN Christ, it’s an intimate embracing. We know the will of The Father. But it hits home with us as at Easter, for we know “It was MY sin that held Him there”. Just as at Christmas, we embrace “Joy to the World” in a personal and tearful recognition that this baby came to please The Father on my behalf.

Tis’ no longer up for debate,
This babe brought Joy to my estate.
Impending doom, and wrath to come,
Hath been taken for me by God, the Son.

The Father and Son, on one accord,
Paying a debt I could ne’ r afford.
In His twinkling eyes, I guess He knows,
He’ll wash me clean, yea, white as snow.

By soft and tender, comes my release.
He is God. I am still, my strivings cease.
In awesome wonder, behold the babe,
God clothed in flesh, my soul to save.

Remember HIS story - Merry Christmas,

Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home