Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: Thy Kingdom Come

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Thy Kingdom Come


Matthew 6:10 - Thy kingdom come

It’s so important to continue reading God’s Word, even if you feel pretty accomplished and confident after you’ve read it once. I didn’t realize how confused I was about this verse until I read it again as an adult. I used to wonder why Jesus would tell us to pray to God that His kingdom would come. I figured if it’s something God wants to happen, how can I even begin to consider that my prayers would have any effect whatsoever in its fulfillment? As I got older, I realized that the basis for my confusion was a twisted view of what the kingdom looked like.

The kingdom of God (kingdom of Heaven) is a multi-layered concept: There is the heavenly realm where God and His angels are right now; where our names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life (when we become saved). There is also the kingdom of heavenly rule where we embrace Christ’s righteousness and submit to His Lordship over our lives. Furthermore, at the end of it all, the kingdom will be the new heaven and new earth where there will be no more separation between God and man. So which “Thy kingdom come” should we be praying for? Pray for them all. I think there’s a way to pray or each as long as we pray in understanding. We pray to The Father, The Son, or the Holy Spirit in the understanding that they each perform unique functions yet are each still fully God. I think that an important aspect of our prayers to God concerning ‘Thy Kingdom’ should be in a heart of confession that we get it – that we understand the divine order and pledge ourselves to active fulfillment of His will over our own.

Here’s The Word;

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 12:32 – 34 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God.

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

So if I’m being honest, as I go through my life today, I need to take a long look at MY kingdom; the material things I’ve amassed and the immaterial things that I have rule over, as well as the things in my heart (assumptions, ideas, plans, desires, hurts, fears) and evaluate them. How much am I motivated to amass more, or how determined am I to make my authority over my stuff apparent, or how inclined am I to allow God to have my whole heart? It’s way easier to recite the Disciples’ prayer without thinking how much I place myself in hypocritical shoes without even thinking. As a child, I used to think I had a pretty good idea of who was and wasn’t on God’s side, now that I’ve grown some, it’s less of an outward look and more of an inward one: Am I committed to furthering my kingdom, or Thy Kingdom.


In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home