Only one adequate plan has ever appeared in the world, and that is the Christian dispensation.
John Jay - First US Supreme Court Chief Justice
Wednesday's Word: The Heart of Prayer

Wednesday's Word

Welcome friends, feel free to look around, make comments and whatnot. I'll try and keep this thing updated with interesting pics, stories and other odds & ends. Feel free to criticize, but please share the 'truth in love'. No reason to be purposefully offensive. Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Heart of Prayer



Much has changed over the 10 years since my first blog post on prayer and I wish I'd spent more time emphasizing it. It's got to be about the second most important thing there is behind being in right relationship to God through Christ.

I love my son dearly and truth be told, I think about him a whole lot, probably a whole lot more than he thinks I do. Chip is almost 16 and now that our conversations are much deeper than they were, say 10 years ago, I see much more relevance of The Father's relationship with us as His children.

I can see when Chip is hesitant to ask me for things....other times I wish he thought about how he could better appreciate things he has before asking me for more. However, without fail, when I know he wants something well within my power, I'm more moved to give it to him and it's genuinely my pleasure to show kindness to him even when he doesn't deserve it. I also feel a deep sorrow if I know he's scared to ask me when I know he wants to. This is not about whether I will do it - Its about how much I love our relationship and I don't want his fear standing in the way of my desires for good concerning him.

Here's The Word;

Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

This makes me really wonder - How do we see God, really?

We all know the political situation we're in and I'm sure that more than a few people are praying about it as well as the other things that bombard our lives on a daily basis; finances, health issues for ourselves or family members (or simply for people who we know or know that we're praying people). I also see something that gives me concern; people who either have no relationship with God through Christ or parade a pompous 'religiousity' when convenient, yet living contrary and obstinate to His direction at other times.

I don't know if we give God credit for having a REAL heart and deep feelings the way we do: God REALLY IS a LOVING Father; a father who's heart is toward those who's hearts are toward Him and that's what He longs for - hearts' turned toward Him. It does my heart well when I can freely give to my son without reservation or apprehension because of a teachable moment I need to emphasize with him....and I realize and readily admit that I'M evil ...meaning nothing in me even vaguely resembles the unfathomable GOODNESS that's in God!

The Bible makes it clear about prayer. Not ALL prayers are answered due to their underlying motives and it's a very real thing that prayers are hindered by our disobedience. My point is this; if we made God MORE real in the way that He presents Himself real in the Scriptures - even more real, deep, compassionate and embracing than the relationship we're familiar with as we deal with our own children (or parents), it would be much more beneficial to a healthy prayer life that produces results rather than some sort of pious activity whose effectiveness can be easily discounted in the mystery of God's Will. Jesus gave us examples and models or prayer - not to simply be imitated and mimicked, but to be realized as expressions of a deeper intimacy with Our Father. He showed us that intimacy with The Father is the heart of prayer.

John 11: 41(b) - 42 And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.


In Him,
Cros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home